Regular Part Time Youth Development Specialist I (Teen Center)- Spalding Clubhouse
The mission of Boys & Girls Clubs of Hawaii is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens. The after-school hours have become a critical time for youth – a time when many children in our communities are left to fend for themselves without positive adult supervision. We provide a safe place filled with hope and opportunity, ongoing relationships with caring adult mentors, and enriching programs.
Overview of the role
The Youth Development Specialist is responsible for assisting with the daily planning and implementation of one or more of the "core" programs working with Elementary, Middle and High School youths - all ages. This position will specifically work with our Teen members as directed by the Youth Development Director or Project Coordinator, or other designated supervisor, and conducting daily activities that are consistent with the organization's youth development goals, strategy and mission, and the Boys & Girls Club of America core values.
Who you are
- On your resume. You have a high school diploma or equivalent. You have 1 year experience working with the teen population.
- Patient and kind. You enjoy working with kids. You have great customer service skills.
- You make learning fun and thrive doing hands-on activities (sports, arts and crafts, etc.)
- Self-Directed. You are well-organized and you can work independently with limited supervision.
- You want to make a difference in the lives of our amazing youth. You come to the Clubhouse with purpose and drive that you share with those around you. You get energized being around kids.
- Positive role model. You lead by a positive example that our youth and teens can look up to.
- You communicate and work effectively with those around you including those with diverse ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- You are able to work M-F and some weekends.
- Teachable/Curious. You are eager to learn, which is great because YOU WILL LEARN A TON!!!
- You bring positive energy to the Clubhouse and understand that there is a balance between work tasks and having a good time.
What you’ll do
- Implement high-yield learning, healthy lifestyles, and learning activities
- Program Planning and Implementation
- Assist in planning and implementing age-appropriate activities which may include but may not be limited to one of the following Boys & Girls Club "core" program concepts and/or curriculums.
- Assist with recruiting youth to participate in program activities.
- Assist with Club and program orientation for youth members and parents.
- Assist in planning and implementing special small group activities (as assigned) for our teenage members.
- Assist in planning and implementing program activities that provide for the developmental needs of youth and incorporating the Youth Development Strategy (enhancing the potential for developing a sense of competence, belonging, usefulness and influence).
- Provide guidance to all youth members in making positive choices for proper behaviors.
- Assist all youth with following Club rules to reinforce pro-social behaviors.
- Provide guidance for youth members dealing with unacceptable behaviors, utilizing techniques that help youth members accept personal responsibilities for their behavior, and develops a positive plan of action for change.
- Marketing & Community Relations
- Assist in the posting of daily program schedules that are creative and attractive.
- Assist in creating signs, posters, and announcements that are attractive and prominently displayed which provide information on coming events.
- Assist in preparing flyers, mail outs, etc., to advertise and promote program(s).
- Assist in making personal presentations to schools, parent groups, and other community organizations for promotions of programs.
- Administrative Support
- Assist with preparing requisitions for program supplies and equipment.
- Assist supervisor with preparing required program reports.
- Assist with regular evaluations of program activities and make changes as necessary to ensure quality service.
- Attend scheduled staff meetings.
- Additional Responsibilities
- Perform other duties as assigned to ensure the success of programs under their jurisdiction.
Discover why BGCH is the latest Best Place to Work in Hawaii:
- Lots of opportunities to grow!
- Community: work with inspiring and awesome co-workers. This is rated as the #1 reason BGCH employees love working at BGCH!
- Purpose: An opportunity to make the world a better place for those youth who need us the most!
- 19 days of PTO (full time) plus your Birthday Holiday! We offer PTO for part-time team members too!
- Up to 17 Paid Holidays a year!
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance (over 20 hours). Discounts are offered for your family too (employee to pay).
- Pension with an 8% match of your salary (after working a designated # of hours).
- Free Life Insurance (over 30 hours a week).
- Employee Assistance Program
- Pet Insurance
- Amazon Gift Card for your Anniversary! And a Starbucks Gift Card every year to buy a treat for your Birthday!
- BGCH Fun Days to be celebrated with your Club/department!
- BGCH is committed to Investing in Your professional Development!
To be a Part of BGCH culture, employees must be able to embrace and embody the following key values:
- Kindness and Aloha
- Integrity and Trust
- Highest Potential
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Growth Mindset
- You approach obstacles and challenges with Kindness and Aloha; this includes being patient and positive when working with others.
- You make decisions and choices with Integrity in everything that you do (especially when no one is looking).
- You work towards your own and your members’ Highest Potential at work. This includes working with your supervisor and coworkers in a collaborative and constructive way.
- A culture of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, is everyone's kuleana (responsibility). In a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture, everyone can be themselves and experience the full richness of the organization as no one feels the need to suppress who they are.
- A Growth Mindset means embracing a mindset that encompasses innovation, creativity, learning, collaboration, and being open to new, uncomfortable ideas and opinions different than your own, if it means doing things more efficiently or better.
We’re excited to hear from you! Fill out the application and upload your resume. We would love to hear how you would be a great fit for the BGCH Team.
Role: Youth Development Specialist I (Teen Center)
Reports to: Clubhouse Director
Location: Spalding Clubhouse
Hours: 20-25 hrs/wk
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Employment Opportunity is at the foundation of the Boys & Girls Club of Hawaii philosophy and policies. While there are laws governing the treatment of applicants and employees, BGCH is fully committed to following Equal Employment Opportunity because it is the right thing to do.
It is BGCH’s policy to employ qualified people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, including gender identity or expression, age, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, marital status, civil union status, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, arrest or court record, credit history, veteran’s status, reproductive health decision, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, reproductive health decision, or any other characteristic protected under federal or state law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment including but not limited to, recruitment, hiring, placement, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, recalls, leaves of absence, discipline, and termination.