Creative Design & Communications Internship
Hawaiʻi Childrenʼs Action Network (HCAN) is a nonprofit working to ensure all children are healthy, safe, and ready to learn. By working with families, community leaders, and policymakers, weʼre building a united voice educating and advocating for Hawaiʻiʼs children.
Are you passionate about using graphic design and storytelling for social change? HCAN is looking for an undergraduate or graduate level Creative Design & Communications Intern to help tell our organizationʼs story, enhance our advocacy eﬀorts, and inform the public about programs, services, and resources.
The Creative Design &Communications Intern will help design engaging digital and print materials (including social media graphics, flyers, brochures, and more),take photos, and may help record and edit videos. Working collaboratively with the HCAN team, the intern will play a key role in educating the public and inspiring action.
- Assist with designing materials for digital and print outputs, including graphics, print flyers, brochures, reports, and other creative content. These will be used for HCANʼs websites, email newsletters, social media, events, and other initiatives.
- Assist with taking photos and videos at HCANʼs events.
- Assist with compiling, writing, and publishing content for HCANʼs social media profiles, email newsletters, website, and other platforms.
- Assist in engaging with supporters and partner organizations on social media.
- Assist with envisioning and executing creative ways to get the public excited about advocacy opportunities and broaden public awareness of HCANʼs mission, while maintaining high brand standards.
- Experience in graphic design, photography, and/or video production/editing.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud applications (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere), Canva, or equivalent creative production tools.
- Attuned to audience, accuracy, messaging, and tone. Open to constructive feedback and able to quickly incorporate guidance.
- Ability to work collaboratively to develop visual concepts, and work independently to create high-quality results.
- Well-organized and able to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time.
- Passion for the mission, vision, and values of Hawaiʻi Childrenʼs Action Network, along with a strong commitment to equity and social justice.
- Proficient in Microsoft Oﬀice and/or Google Suite applications.
NICE TO HAVE, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience working with policy- or advocacy-focused organizations.
- Education in visual arts, communications, or related fields.
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about current events, socio-political trends, and local visual/creative styles.
- Experience with illustration, data visualization, motion graphics, and/or web design/development.
- Working remotely; occasional in-person activities.
15-20 hours per week for academic year (Fall 2023 - Spring 2024).
Stipend of $1,000 upon completion of internship.
Apply online at: hawaii-can.org/creative_design_communications_internship. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.