WHO WE ARE:
Par Pacific is a growth-oriented company that owns and operates market-leading energy and infrastructure businesses in logistically complex markets. Par Pacific combines experience in the oil and gas industry with corporate financing know-how. We bring this unique strength to complex markets where we seek out diamonds in the rough. As a nimble, entrepreneurial organization, we actively pursue new opportunities in response to local market demands and changing external environments.
Reporting to the Operations Shift Supervisor, you will be responsible for operating assigned processing, treating, transfer, and/or distribution of petroleum products and/or equipment by manual and/or instrument control under supervision. As part of your specific responsibilities, in the following areas, you will:
- Comply with and enforces established rules and regulations in use of safety and environmental equipment.
- Start up and shut down process equipment and systems such as pump, air coolers, reciprocating and centrifugal compressors. Maintains fired furnaces in good and safe operating conditions.
- Execute daily shift turnover effectively and attend daily safety meetings.
- Perform pipefitting duties.
- Monitor and adjust process equipment, process flows, temperatures, levels and pressures.
- Assist in trouble shooting equipment and process-related problems.
- Recognize hazards and take action to eliminate and/or mitigate the situation.
- Use Stop Work authority as needed
- Draw product samples for quality control testing. Performs field quality control tests as required.
- Transfer products from tank to tank for blending and shipping.
- Maintain or fill out surveys, checklists, inventories and journals as necessary. Monitors maintenance requirements and prepares notifications for work.
- Maintain assigned work area and equipment in a safe, orderly and clean condition. Reports any unsafe or abnormal conditions.
- Attend emergency response classes and responds to refinery emergencies as required.
- Work closely with maintenance, environmental and inspectors
- Assist in the instruction of trainees
- Perform other duties as required.
- Operator Trainee at a Growth-Oriented Energy Company
- Ability to learn the oil and gas industry from the ground up
- Scheduled/mandatory and other overtime available
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship.
In addition, you must:
- Have a High School Diploma or GED
- Possess a valid Driver’s License
The Preferred qualifications include:
- Documented successful training in an electro-mechanical operation or other trade(s)
- Three years of successful full-time employment, previous full-time employment in industrial capacity is preferred.
- Computer skills, knowledge, and abilities highly preferred, knowledge of basic chemistry, engineering, and/or physics desired.
To be a good fit for the Operator Trainee opportunity, you will be able to:
- Consistently work 12-Hour shifts on rotating day/night shift schedule, available to work during off-hours to include staff coverage needs, emergencies and turnarounds. Regularly work weekends and holidays, day and night shifts on a regular and reliable basis.
- Take call outs as needed, being available and fit for duty on standby status frequently.
- Work mandatory overtime as required.
- Respond to operational emergencies in the refinery.
- Communicate clearly in English, in oral, written, and electronic forms.
- Accurately maintains and completes surveys, checklists, inventories, reports, and journals as necessary or directed.
- Accept training for, and successfully pass and maintain certifications in firefighting, CPR, first-aid, and other safety related functions, as well as job qualification (s), and be willing to perform these functions as needed.
- Effectively use wrenches, screw-drivers, small-to-medium sized hand tools and measuring tapes.
- Perform essential job functions, must frequently work long hours for four (4), six (6), eight (8), or more days in a row, on rotating day and night shifts of twelve or more hours spent, walking, standing, squatting, reaching overhead, gripping, carrying 15 lbs. or more, repeated climbing of stairs and ladders being required.
- Demonstrate vision correctable to 20/40 vision or better with good depth perception and able to distinguish colors. (Contact lenses cannot be worn on the job as there will be exposure to airborne foreign particles).
- Hear satisfactorily as conversations will frequently take place with loud background equipment noise; a hearing aid is acceptable.
- Demonstrate good physical conditioning, as light to medium physical work is regularly required, frequently climbing heights of 100 feet (10 stories) or more, at times carrying equipment of 50 lbs. or more, working outdoors, at times in inclement weather, for prolonged periods, and working in confined space.
Note: This description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
More Good Reasons to work for Par:
There is nothing ordinary about Par Pacific -- a niche player in the energy space that operates in logistically complex markets. And there's certainly nothing ordinary about Par Pacific people. We are driven, hardworking, entrepreneur-minded professionals that love to win. If that describes you, you'll fit right in.
Location, location, location
Because Par Pacific is located in some of the most beautiful places throughout the country, our employees get to make these places their home and enrich their lives. The location where you will work is in Kapolei, HI. Located on the south west side of O’ahu, Kapolei, named for the volcanic cone Pu’u of Kapolei, is colloquially known as the “second city.”. It is a vibrant, affluent city that is growing rapidly and is within a few miles from beautiful beaches, camp sites and adventure parks.
Opportunistic growth strategy
At Par Pacific, we look for operations with strong fundamentals and great employees who can move a business forward. Our management team has deep experience in the energy industry, as well as in leading mergers, acquisitions, and integrations of newly acquired companies.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a strong comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision insurance; a robust allotment of paid time off; a 401(k); retirement savings plans; educational reimbursement; and more.
Keys to Success
We are looking for a highly motivated, self-starter with a positive attitude. Candidates should have a natural thirst for knowledge and curiosity to drive personal and professional development.
In addition, in order to be a successful Operator Trainee, you will possess:
- Functional/Technical Skills: Has the demonstrated functional & technical knowledge & skills to do the job with a high level of competency.
- Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard; is action oriented, displays initiative, & seeks challenging work assignments; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning or direction; seizes opportunities for continuous improvement & growing knowledge of refinery work.
- Conduct That Reflects Integrity: Recognizes & takes personal responsibly for impact individual personal behavior has on others. Demonstrates safety focus, professional commitment, adaptability, & resilience. Accepts curative feedback in a professional manner.
- Team Focus: Performs effectively as part of a team, as well as interpedently.
- Decision Quality: Makes appropriate, suitable, & timely decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, experience, consultation, & sound judgment; most of his/her solutions & suggestions turn out to be correct & accurate when judged over time; often sought out by others for advice & solutions.
- Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic & methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes multiple sources for answers; can see masked or concealed problems; is excellent at straightforward analysis; looks beyond the obvious & does not stop at the first possible solution.
- Professionalism: Reliable & engaged in furthering organizational goals, demonstrated by maintaining high standards of personal performance, professional growth, learning, & attendance. Professional behaviors that mirror our company values of Integrity, Creativity, Hard Work, & Respect for Others. Willing to “stop the job” & help ensure safety operational standards are not compromised.
Par Pacific Holdings, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, owns, manages and maintains interests in energy and infrastructure businesses. Par Pacific's strategy is to identify, acquire and operate energy and infrastructure businesses with attractive competitive positions. We own and operate refineries in Hawaii, Washington and Wyoming, with total operating throughput capacity of over 150 Mbpd. We own and operate one of the largest energy infrastructure networks in Hawaii with a logistics network supplying the major islands of the state. In Wyoming, Par Pacific owns a refinery and associated logistics network in a niche market. We operate 123 fuel retail outlets in Hawaii, Washington, and Idaho. Par Pacific has an active, opportunistic growth strategy. Our common stock is publicly traded on the NYSE under the trading symbol "PARR".
Note: Par Pacific will not accept calls from third-party recruiters. All candidates are required to apply through this web posting.
Par Pacific is an equal opportunity employer. Par Pacific prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by applicable law.